Saturday, August 1, 2015

Applying Film History

As this course is beginning to come to a close, I wanted to reflect on film history and how it can be applied to our lives. This class was so much more than watching some of our favorite films. We appreciate cultural history because we can look at how far we have come as a culture. As a communication studies student focusing in on media studies, broadcasting, and some film I have learned to appreciate all of the developments in the film industry that have gotten the film industry where it is today and have inspired today's directors to create such great films. 

This course has covered such a wide variety of topics in such a short amount of time- from the silent cinema to the development of audio, and color films, to the the television era, satellite television, and the video to digital era. This course was so interesting because as I am learning how to produce short films or and videography segments and short stories I can't help but appreciate all of the resources and options we have today to make our stories more creative. 


What has everyone else taken away from this course? 

3 comments:

  1. Learning about how these films and cinema in general have become apart of our culture is the biggest thing I would take away from this class. Films are more impactful than we may realize and there are still hundreds of other movies that are out there that we can continue to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This course has honestly made me pick apart every film that I've been watching recently. It's made me into a bit more of a critic than I'd like to admit and I've become more conscious of details. I've also come to realize how much movies change depending on events of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, I always enjoy teaching this class for the benefits I get from the broad overview... I'm poised to teach both Global Cinema and a topics class on film festivals this fall, and getting a refresher on film history helps contextualize things for me. I've tweaked Global Cinema recently so that it's much more 21st Century-oriented... We read some about earlier films, but are pretty consciously screening more current fare... I'm hoping for the Criterion Collection DVD for THE GRAND ILLUSION for the festival class, though! Maybe the better print will help the cause? I'm still a believer!

    ReplyDelete