Friday, July 31, 2015

Special Effects

This week in the discussion boards it was talked about special effects and weather they have a positive or negative impact in certain films.  Personally, I think special effects can make or break a film but there was discussion this week on how special effects can sometimes take away from a really well written film or simply make a really not so good film a decent film because of its special effects.

I wanted to use Avatar as an example as it was one of this weeks movie screenings with amazing detail and special effects. James Cameron's Avatar costing a total of $300 million extends the possibilities of what movies can do according to Rolling Stone Magazine 's Peter Travers. I found Avatar's storyline hard to follow, and the plot was dragged on.  I was distracted by the movies picture details and special effects. Don't get me wrong; Avatar was an amazing picture just not for me.


Do you think the special effects in Avatar took away from the story trying to be told? I think that the picture alone is what attracted such an audience.

1 comment:

  1. If you really pay attention to the story it is really just Pocahontas told all over again. My belief is that Cameron put all these fancy effects in to distract the audience from the story line. I will say it is a magnificent film to watch, and the scenery and effects are beautiful, but I do believe it took away from the story a bit.

    ReplyDelete