Thursday, July 16, 2015

Beginning to Write

One of my weaknesses as a student is I far too often have writers block. I couldn't even imagine being responsible for writing the script for a film! As an intern I just had the opportunity to write the script for a TV show and it was so much fun but a lot of work and a lot of drafts.  Chapter 2 of A Short Guide To Writing About Film we are introduced to some important strategies and habits in writing critically about film. One important habit I think it is important to have is to write down some questions you want to have answered throughout the film. This way, it'll help the writer keep their focus and allow the viewer to watch the film analytically. Another strategy I think it so important is good note taking. I have struggled with this throughout school and I wish I had been a more organized note taker. Lately when I have been note taking, I break my notes into Plot/Setting: Characters: Conflicts. Etc. It`s easier to refer back to important events that way at least for me.

Another helpful writing motivator mentioned in the text is before watching your next film, write down a few expectations of the film and that will help prepare you for viewing such as connections between the film and reality.



What are some of your helpful film watching strategies?

2 comments:

  1. Writers block is the worst. I think the best thing to do is go back to it later, then I always have different ideas. I like to watch all of the films first and then start the work, that way I feel like I always have something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write plays and short stories for fun so I often analyze films how I analyze my own work or others. I'm a fan of a clear plot and I believe it can be accomplished by breaking it down into the basic beginning, middle, and end. I define those in three questions such as...

    1. What are the characters going to attempt to accomplish?
    2. How are they going to do it?
    3. What happens as a result of their success or failure?

    Of course other things such as the writers goal for what they want the audience to take away, how many things go "boom," etc...are important for a review, but I don't think a review can be legitimate until the viewer knows exactly what is going on.

    ReplyDelete