Thursday, July 9, 2015

Diving Into Film History

This morning, I had the opportunity to dive right in to material.  For starters, as I posted in our online discussion board, Movie History Rocks! the book is filled with photos, headings, and is really well written and informative.  We learn in this first section the importance of storytelling and one of its earliest methods involved using still images which is STILL a method used today. In fact, In my multimedia storytelling course I took earlier this year with David Copeland, I used still images to tell my little love story that you can view that Here!
 
 
 
It`s funny how today, many of us enjoy going to the movies, and pretty much anyone can be a part of the movie-goer market. In the early 1900s however that was not the case.  Children attended movies in record numbers, and the early movie theatres served much of the working class and not the middle class. I found it interesting that children and young adults ranging from the ages of 15-25 made up the bulk of the movie market.
 
 
I thought these facts were interesting in comparison to the statistics from the early 1900s:
 
 
  • In 2013 the share of tickets sold to 2-11 year olds was at it`s highest point since 2009
  • The share of tickets sold to 50-59 year olds were at an all time high
  • Since 2010 the 25-39 age group had compromised approximately a quarter of all cinema tickets sold.
Statistics from the Motion Picture Association Of America.
 
 
Some popular films from 2013 included


What were your favorite films from 2014? What are your predictions for the 2015 movie market statistics?




 

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Some of my favorite films from 2014 were Boyhood and Whiplash. As far as predictions for 2015, I expect more of the same from the stats you mentioned. I'm guessing that some of the most popular films from this year, based on reviews, will be Mad Max: Fury Road, Inside Out, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and of course, Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete