Thursday, July 23, 2015

Behind the scenes

This week I was able to experience some down n` dirty behind the scenes work. As I have stated before I have an internship at a small television station down the Cape. I have had the opportunity to be a producer for my TV show, #LiveLikeALocal. This week, after three weeks of cutting, editing, and script writing, we were finally able to air our show!

This week I learned one very important lesson. That there is no such thing as too much footage. I had so much footage to chose from for my episode and I was so surprised I only used only six minutes of it.  Last year, TED 2 was being filmed just minutes from my house for weeks! the roads were all shut down and about two minutes of footage from that film location was actually used in the production! So, my first lesson in the field was learned. There is no such thing as too much footage!  I`ll be posting the link to my show as soon as it is up on the YouTube Channel!


Filming in Chatham, MA
 
Our #LiveLikeALocal Set!
 

2 comments:

  1. That's right... I remember you posted your RELAY FOR LIFE footage for us a few weeks back. We aren't spending too much time on documentary in this class, but the shooting ratio is like 10:1, versus features that are more 3:1 (these are wild generalizations, but the trend is clear)...

    We've read a fair bit about John Ford in the past two weeks--he was NOTORIOUS for "editing in-camera" by having minimal takes and limited ways shots could go together. He was such a masterful director that he know exactly what he wanted, and how to get it...

    Will you be continuing your show in the fall? I'll be back on-Cape in late-August. In the meantime, though: if you set up that YouTube channel of your work in Chatham, please email a link to the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate! I helped my friend with editing a short film he was making this year and ran into the problem of not having enough footage. Shots were cut off too soon, and they only had one take of everything, and we ran into a lot of issues between sound, lighting...etc. I can totally understand.

    ReplyDelete