Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Technological Developments in Film


I thought this would be a good week to discuss the technological developments in Film.  Hollywoods first choice for technological upgrades was television. First, in 1938 Paramount Pictures stepped forward. Paramount invested approximately $500,000 in DuMont television sets.  The Dominant radio networks at the time were CBS, NBC, & ABC as they still are today. 

One of the major developments in film and television at this time was wide screen images in color, and we are all thankful for that!  One of the first priorities in this time was to show movies in color.  By 1950,  the best known name in the field of colored broadcasts were Technicolor. Technicolor also supported the development of some of our cartoon favorites; Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck. 

I also was surprised to learn that 3D films have been around since the 1920s. I remember the first 3D production I had ever seen was the Muppets at MGM park in Orlando. 

For those of you students who read my blog...what are some of the other technological differences in film production that you have seen yourselves? As I am new to studying film by itself I am not all that familiar with all of the technology. I know some people prefer older cameras opposed to new ones. What are your thoughts?












No comments:

Post a Comment